I hope this information on North Carolina Parishes will aid you in your research.
Listing of Parishes sent in by Donna Sherron
Additional info and research from various sources contributed by Diane Siniard
In 1709, there were four precincts or parishes in the Albemarle region: Chowan, Pasquotank, Perquimans, and Currituck. There were three in the Pamlico region: Beaufort, Hyde, and Craven. In Chowan Precinct was St Paulís Parish in Edenton, established in 1701. This parish was divided in 1715 and Southwest Parish was established. In 1722, the parish was again divided and South Shore Parish was created, becoming known as St Andrewís Parish in 1729. Bertie County was divided from Chowan in 1722, and Society Parish was established at the same time. In 1727, Society Parish was divided to form North West Parish, and in 1729, Tyrell County was formed from Chowan, Bertie, Currituck, and Pasquotank Counties. St Andrewís Parish was established at the same time. Craven Parish was established in 1715 and in 1741 became Christ Church Parish. St Thomas Parish was established in 1701 in Beaufort Precinct. St Thomas Church is the oldest church building in North Carolina, having being erected in 1734. In 1722, Bath County was divided, creating Carteret Precinct. St Johnís Parish was most likely established at the same time, and is mentioned as early as 1724. St Johnís Parish, of Carteret Precinct and Beaufort, existed through the Revolution with the vestrymen changing their titles to wardens of the poor continuing to meet yearly until 1843. The original vestry minutes of St Johnís Parish were rescued in the 1900ís when the fourth courthouse was being dismantled and records were being tossed. The vestrymen of St Johnís Parish in 1723 included Christopher Gale, Joseph Bell, Jno (John) Shaw, Jno Nelson, Richard Whitehurst, Richard Williamson, Richard Rutsell, Jno Shackleford, Thomas Merriday, Enoch Ward, Joseph Fulford, and Charles Cogdell. Prior to this date, apparently, William Davis and sons and Joseph Wicker were serving. It is interesting to note that the first commissioners of the town of Beaufort included Christopher Gale, John Nelson, Joseph bell, Richard bell, and Richard Rustull. And in 1727, the first justices of the court were John Nelson, Richard Rustull, Joseph Bell, Richard Whitehurst, Ross Bell, Joseph Wicker, Enoch Ward, and Charles Cogdell. Another interesting fact is that several of the vestrymen serving in Beaufort were also vestrymen in other parishes. Christopher Gale was also at St Thomas, Bath; and Joseph bell and John Nelson served in Craven Parish, New Bern. John Bell, although not a vestryman at St Johnís Parish, Beaufort, was with St Peterís Parish in Pasquotank. Joseph Wicker was also with Currituck Parish. There were also several members of other parishes who were involved in the beginnings of the town of Beaufort. State was divided into parishes as follows: St Paulís Parish, in Chowan County The parish was organized in 1701 as the first parish in the colony under the provisions of the Vestry Act of 1701. A post-in-ground church building was erected the next year on an undetermined plot of land just east of Queen Anne's Creek on what is now known as the Hayes farm. Edenton would not be founded for another eleven years. By 1736, perhaps when the post-in-ground chapel had outlived its usefulness, it was decided to build a new church in the bustling town of Edenton, which was also the colony's capital. Here, the church occupied the lots set aside for church and churchyard (cemetery) before 1722 and construction began on a brick building that followed a form popular in Virginia. Some two months after the Halifax Convention, and two weeks before the Continental Congress had formally declared independence, the vestry of Old St. Paul's Church in Edenton met in solemn conclave, and impelled by the wave of intense patriotism now sweeping over the land, drew up the so-called "Declaration of Independence of St. Paul's Parish," the context of which is as follows: "We, the Subscribers, professing our Allegiance to the King, and acknowledging the Constitutional executive power of Government, do solemnly profess, testify and declare, that we do absolutely believe that neither the Parliament of Great Britain nor any member nor any Constituent Branch thereof, have a right to impose taxes upon these Colonies or to regulate the internal policy thereof ; and that all attempts by fraud or force to establish and exercise such claims and powers are violation of the peace and security of the people, and ought to be resisted to the utmost, and the people of this Province singly and collectively are bound by the acts and resolutions of the Continental and Provincial Congresses, because in both they are freely represented by persons chosen by themselves, and we do solemnly and sincerely promise and engage under the sanction of virtue, honor, and the Sacred love of liberty and our country to maintain and support all and every acts, resolutions and regulations of the said Continental and Provincial Congresses to the utmost of our power and ability. In testimony whereof we have set our hands this 19th day of June, 1776." In early 1700's the legislature promoted the Church of England (Anglican Church) as the established church of the colony and two parishes had been created by 1715: St. Paul's and Southwest. These served the Chowan Precinct residents. England had also sent missionaries from the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (SPG). Nov 12, 1701, 12 gentlemen were appointed Vestrymen for the Parish of St. Paul's in the Precinct of Chowan. You'll recognize some of these names. Hon. Henderson Walker, Esqr Col. Thomas Pollock William Duckenfield, Esqr Mr. Nicholas Crisp Mr. Edward Smithwick Mr. John Blount Mr. James Long Mr. Nathaniel Chevin Mr. William Banbury Col William Wilkinson Capt. Thomas Leuton Capt. Thomas Blount Berkley Parish, in Perquimans County Berkeley Parish was created in 1715, and embraced every part of the present county and part of what is now Gates County extending as far north as the Virginia line. The Lords Proprietors, members for the most part of the Church of England, were too intent upon extracting wealth from their colony in Carolina to be willing to expend any of their gains for the good of the colonists. Disregarding the petitions of their officers in Albemarle, who saw the great need for missionaries in the struggling settlements, they refused to become responsible for the salary of a minister. But after a while the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in foreign parts took hold of the matter, and in 1702 a church was built in Chowan, near where Edenton now stands. By 1709 Rev. Mr. Gordon, who was one of the two ministers sent out by the S. P. G., writes to the secretary of the Society from Perquimans : "In Perquimans there is a compact little church, built with care and express, and better than that in Chowan. It continues yet unfinished, by reason of the death of Major Swann, 1707, who fostered the building of this church." Among the vestrymen of this new parish may be found the following names : Francis Forbes, Colonel Maurice Moore, Captain Hecklefield, Thomas Hardy, Captain Richard Saunderson, Henry Clayton, Joseph Jessups, Samuel Phelps and Richard Whedbee. Most of these gentlemen were men of note in the colony, and many of their descendants are now living in Perquimans County. That the wealthy planters in Albemarle felt a certain responsibility for the spiritual welfare of their slaves, was shown by the fact that master and slave alike gathered together to join in the services held by the early missionaries of the Church of England ; and that the master willingly allowed his servant to share in the blessings of the sacraments of the church. A letter from Rev. Mr. Taylor, written from Perquimans in 1719, records that he had just "baptized a young woman, slave of Mr. Duckinfield, to whom I have taught the whole of the church catechism." St. Johnís Parish on the South West Side of Pasquotank River No further information at this time. Research in progress. St Peterís Parish on the North side of Pasquotank River in Pasquotank County No further information at this time. Research in progress. Currituck Parish in Currituck County In 1715 a legally appointed vestry was organized for the parish of Currituck, among the most prominent of whose members were Richard Saunderson, Colonel William Reed, Foster Jarvis, William Swann, and William Williams. The services of the Church of England were conducted in the county during those early days with as much regularity as the scattered congregations and the lack of facilities for traveling in that water-bound region permitted. In 1774 the General Assembly passed an act to establish St. Martin's chapel at Belleville, and Isaac Gregory, Peter Dauge and a Mr. Ferebee were appointed to take this matter in charge. In educational matters Currituck was wonderfully alert in colonial days for a county so inaccessible from the rest of the State. Probably the most noted of her schools was the Indian Town Academy built in 1761 by William Ferebee, one of the most prominent men in North Carolina, on his plantation, called by the Indians "Culong," and by the whites, "Indian Town." Many of the students at this academy were in later days to be counted among the State's most famous and useful men. William Ferebee's family alone furnished six members of the Legislature, three Revolutionary officers, and one Colonel in the Confederacy in the War of Secession. For a hundred years this famous old school kept up its career of usefulness, but in the so-called "negro raid" of 1863 it met the fate that befell so many of the South's cherished institutions during the dark days of 18614865, and was reduced to ashes by the incendiary's torch. Society Parish in Bertie County When Bertie Precinct was established in 1722, the Southwest parish was designated for it, but the name was changed to Society Parish in honor of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. William Dukenfield of "Salmon Creek" was one of the early supporters and gave 52 acres for a permanent building in 1721 "lying on the northwest side of Ducking Run". It was very difficult to find Anglican ministers willing to serve due to the low salaries and early pioneer life style. The Rev. John Boyd, was the first Anglican missionary to come to the Society Parish. Perhaps he came as the result of Gov. Johnston's plea to the bishop of London: "we are a most heathenish part of American and have no sect amongst us but Quakers who daily increase." Rev. Boyd had a reputation for drunkenness and died by early 1740's when Rev. John Holmes served for a brief time. Following these unsuccessful pastors, Bertie was dependent on neighboring counties for their clergy until 1767 when the Society Parish called Rev. Thomas Floyd, followed in 1770 by Rev. Francis Johnston. The Revolution ended the Anglican Church as the established church, but the Episcopal Church grew from these roots. St Andrewís Parish in Tyrell County Bertie County was divided from Chowan in 1722, and Society Parish was established at the same time. In 1727, Society Parish was divided to form North West Parish, and in 1729, Tyrell County was formed from Chowan, Bertie, Currituck, and Pasquotank Counties. St Andrewís Parish was established at the same time. St. Thomas Parish in Beaufort County St Thomas Parish was established in 1701 in Beaufort Precinct. St Thomas Church is the oldest church building in North Carolina, having being erected in 1734. Tryon County was formed from Mecklenburg County in 1768 with its northern boundary being the were established as follows: Granville line. Its boundaries, the said County of Mecklenburg shall be, and is hereby divided into Two distinct Counties and Parishes, by a Line beginning at Earl Granville's Line; where it Crosses the Catawba River; and the said River to be the Line to the South Carolina Line; and all that Part of the said County which lies to the Eastward of the said dividing Line shall be a Distinct County and Parish, and remain and be called by the Name of Mecklenburg County, and St. Martin's Parish; and that all that Part of the County lying to the Westward of the said dividing line shall be one other distinct County and Parish, and be and remain by the Name of Tryon County and St. Thomas's Parish. St. Georgeís Parish in Hyde County The first services for what eventually became St. George's Episcopal Church were held in 1866 in Amity Academy, also known as Chapel Hill Academy. These, services were held by Reverend Samuel Swann Barber who was the first missionary of the Episcopal Church in Hyde County. In the fall of 1868 permission was re- quested of Bishop Thomas Atkinson of the Diocese of North Carolina for the creation of a parish in Hyde County. Permission was received from Bishop Atkinson for the creation of a parish in Lake Landing Township, and St. George's Parish was officially organized on November 25, 1868. Reverend Barber was the first rector of the new parish. The parish became an official part of the Diocese in May of 1869. Northwest Parish in Northampton County By 1727, a second parish was needed and was called Northwest Parish, but this became part of Northampton County when that section was taken away from Bertie in 1741. St. Johnís Parish in Granville County In 1746, when Granville Co., N.C. was formed from Edgecombe, St. John's Parish was created, including all of Granville Co. In 1761, Granville Co. was divided into two parishes, the western part becoming Granville Parish and the eastern part remaining St. John's. In 1764, the whole of St. John's Parish, the eastern part of Granville Co., became Bute County and a small part of Northampton Go., N.C. was added to Bute, in 1766. St. Matthewís Parish in Orange County The General Assembly of Colonial North Carolina originally constituted St. Matthew's Parish in 1752 as the established church in the County of Orange. The parish was reorganized in 1824 and the present building was consecrated on May 21, 1826. St. Matthew's has continued as the Episcopal parish in Hillsborough and northern Orange County from that time to the present. St Lukeís Parish in Rowan County Created in 1753 by and act of the Colonial Assembly, St. Lukeís Parish conformed with the boundaries of Rowan County, then the largest county in the colony. The church building was erected in 1828. In 1823, St. Lukeís Parish was organized by Bishop John Stark Ravenscroft during the eighth annual convention of the Diocese held in Salisbury. The following year at the next convention it was admitted to the Diocese. In 1827, an advertisement appeared in the Western Carolinian requesting bids for 80,000 brick and a quantity of pine and oak lumber, planks, and shingles. The bricks were provided by the widow of General John Steele and the grounds for the church were given by Major John Beard, with a deed of September 15, 1827. The Gothic Revival style church, designed by Rev. Francis L. Hawks, was built in 1828. Hillsborough mason and John Berry built the Gothic Revival church out of brick in Flemish bond. The church opened under the ministry of Rev. Thomas Wright, who stayed until 1832. St. Davidís Parish in Cumberland County No further information at this time. Research in progress. St. Gabrielís Parish in Duplin County In 1749, Duplin County was formed from the territory of New Hanover lying north of a ďLine beginning at the mouth of Rock Fish Creek, on the North-East River of Cape-Fear, running East to Onslow County, and westward, by a straight line from the mouth of the said creek, to the upper forks of Black River, where Cohecry and the Six Runs meet, thence up Cohecry to the head thereof.Ē By this act, the same territory was erected into St. Gabriel Parish. John Sampson and Henry Hyrne were directed to run the line. The justices of the peace were ordered to hold their first court at the house of William McRee at Goshen, at which court they should select a site for the courthouse, prison, and stocks. John Sampson, William McRee, George Meares, Francis Brice, William Houston, Joseph Williams. John Herring, Anthony Cox, Mark Phillips, John Turner, Thomas Suggs, and Charles Gavin were appointed vestrymen of the parish. St. Georgeís Parish in Anson County At its formation Anson's boundaries were established by the General Assembly of North Carolina. ...That Bladen County be divided by a Line. beginning at the Place where the South Line of this Province crosseth the Westermost Branch of the Little Pee-Dee River. than by a straight line to a Place where the Commissioners for running the Southern Boundary of this Province crosseth that Branch of the Little Pee-Dee River. called Drowning Creek, thence up that Branch to the Head thereof; then by a Line. to run. as near as maybe, equidistant, from Saxapahaw River, and the Great Pee-Dee River; and that the upper Part of the said County and Parish so laid off and undivided. be entered into a County and Parish. by the name of Anson County. and St. George's Parish. and that all the Inhabitants to the Westward of the aforementioned dividing line shall belong and appertain to Anson County,... Edgecombe Parish in Edgecombe County In the early part of the eighteenth century there existed in London England a society known as The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts The society was organized in 1675 but being inefficient was revised by Dr Bray of the Church of England and a charter for propagating the gospel in foreign parts was granted by King William III in 1701 The duty of this society was to keep in touch with the colonial settlers and to maintain the orthodox clergymen in the British possessions In order to do this an annual stipend of fifty pounds sterling was pledged by the society to pay the missionaries whom they elected to come abroad The Crown also gave a bounty of twenty pounds while the colonists were supposed to contribute a part of the clergymen's salary As a result of the efforts of this society the first established and organized branch of the Christian Church in Edgecombe County was formed After the transfer of the colony to the Crown the precinct of Edgecombe was incorporated Provision was made for a parish with authority to raise money by a poll tax not to exceed five shillings in currency the purpose of which was to maintain the poor and to pay ministers A parish court was erected to look after the social affairs of the people In this court the day laborer mechanic and blacksmith were disciplined from time to time The constable of the village was also local officer collected taxes and looked after the poor The church wardens were kept under bond by the precinct committee as custodians of the vestry funds In 1741 the laws of North Carolina record a law relating to those who had refused to pay taxes in Edgecombe parish because of the uncertainty of its boundaries This proves that some movement for church organization had commenced before or during this year In 1741 under an enactment by Governor Gabriel Johnston Edgecombe County was authorized to establish a parish by the name of Edgecombe At the same time a general church act was passed authorizing a poll tax which in practice was found to be very burdensome Efforts were made to secure another law which indicates that it was looked upon with disfavor even by the churchmen No other law was passed and Reverend Mr Moir who was assigned to the parish expressed himself as follows Nothing was done for the encouragement of an established ministry The sheriff of the county was empowered to summons the freeholders to meet for the purpose of electing twelve vestrymen who promptly after their election elected two church wardens An oath was required by law for those serving as vestrymen In the oath the vestrymen were to express themselves as not opposed to the liturgy of the Church of England A failure to perform this duty resulted in a fine of three pounds proclamation money The term of office was for two years The jurisdiction of the parish was confined to the boundaries of the northwest and society parishes of Bertie County from which Edgecombe parish was formed The line of the parish began at the mouth of Sandy Run thence up its course to its head and extending in a direct line to Ahoshie Swamp From here it followed the old dividing line between the Society and Northwest parishes of which Edge combe was formerly a part All the arrears which were due by the people of Edgeeombe were to be paid to the parishes in Bertie Included in the general act for the erection of parishes and the election of vestrymen was a oath prescribed for those who supervised the parish This oath also contained an obligation to refrain from disturbing the King's peace to propagate the interests of the church and not to bear arms against Great Britain The first authentic account of a church being erected in the parish is in 1748 This church was designated by a reference in a division of the parish as a Chapell near Elias Fort's on Tar River There is substantial evidence that this is the church which was located about seven miles northwest of Tarboro on the southeast side of Tar River near a small spring at Teat's bridge 1 Clement Hall who for some time prior to 1744 had been a lay leader in Edenton was ordained in 1744 and made occasional visits to Edgecombe County St. Martinís Parish in Bladen County Tryon County was formed from Mecklenburg County in 1768 with its northern boundary being the were established as follows: Granville line. Its boundaries, the said County of Mecklenburg shall be, and is hereby divided into Two distinct Counties and Parishes, by a Line beginning at Earl Granville's Line; where it Crosses the Catawba River; and the said River to be the Line to the South Carolina Line; and all that Part of the said County which lies to the Eastward of the said dividing Line shall be a Distinct County and Parish, and remain and be called by the Name of Mecklenburg County, and St. Martin's Parish; and that all that Part of the County lying to the Westward of the said dividing line shall be one other distinct County and Parish, and be and remain by the Name of Tryon County and St. Thomas's Parish. St. James Parish on the East Side of Cape Fear River St. Philipís parish on the West Side of Cape Fear River, to the Bounds of the County, inclusive of the Island at the mouth of the North-west and North- East rivers, commonly called Eagleís island in New Hanover County St. Patrickís Parish in Johnston County The law establishing Johnston County also set up St. Patrick's Parish of the Church of England with the same boundaries as the County. Vestrymen were appointed to serve until the next general election. More than merely a governing body for a church, the vestry attended to the needs of poor widows and orphans and generally served as the local government's welfare agency. Ten years after Johnston County was formed the territory was divided into two parishes. Old St. Patrick's Parish remained in the eastern part of the County and new St. Stephen's Parish was in the west. Voters of the new parish were to meet at the courthouse at Walnut Creek to elect vestrymen while those of St Patrick's met at Samuel Smith's on Neuse River in the vicinity of modern Smithfield. This move was the first of several which resulted in the division of the large county of Johnston into several others, one of which became Lenoir. Christ Church Parish in Craven County The Parish of Christ Church, New Bern, North Carolina, was organized in 1715, and was one of the earliest parishes in the Colonies. In the year 1723, during the reign of Georve I of England, a tract of land, the property of Mr. Cullen Pollock, was formally laid out into a township, by the name of New Bern. There were lots provided for a Church, court house, and market place. An act was passed, by the General Assembly of the State of North Carolina, in 1766, that the Glebe land, which was formally purchased at the expense of the County of Craven, for a residence of a minister of the Episcopal Church, situated on Middle and Johnson streets, with all the improvements thereon, should be taken from the Church, and the money raised by rent or sale, should be used for erecting a new school house, incorporated and named the New Bern Academyóno Rector or professor should be a trustee. The trustees appointed were Hon. Richard Caswell, Abner Nash, Esq., John Wright Stanly, William Blount, John Sitgreaves, Spyers Singleton, William McClure, William Bryan and Richard Dobb Speight, Esq. St. John Parish in Onslow County No further information at this time. Research in progress. St. Johnís Parish in Carteret County The first Anglican Church in Beaufort, St. Johnís Parish, was organized approximately in 1724. However, the increasing opposition of Baptists, Quakers, and other denominations contributed to the decreasing number of Anglicans in Carteret County. On Nov. 12, 1701, the Carolina Assembly passed the Vestry Act of 1701, making the Church of England the official religion of the Carolina colony. Active opposition by Quakers, Presbyterians and other religious Nonconformists, who lived there, ultimately convinced the proprietors of the colony to revoke the act in 1703 THE STATE RECORDS NORTH CAROLINA UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF THE TRUSTEES OF THE PUBLIC LIBRARIES BY ORDER OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY COLLECTED AND EDITED BY WALTER CLARK CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE SUPREME COURT OF NORTH CAROLINA VOL XXV LAWS 1789 1790 AND SUPPLEMENT OMITTED LAWS 1669 1783 WITH INDEX TO VOLS XX111 XX1V AND XXV NASH BROTHERS BOOK AND JOB PRINTERS GOLDSBORO NC 1906 An Act for appointing Parishes and Vestries for the Encouragement of an Orthodox Clergy for the Advancement of the Protestant Religion and for the Direction of the Settlement of Parish Accounts I. Whereas the present as well as the future Happiness of Mankind essentially depends on the Knowledge and Practice of true Religion and a permanent and certain Provision for an Orthodox Clergy may conduce to the Encouragement of pious and learned Ministers of the Gospel to settle and reside in the several Parishes in this Province to the Advancement of the Protestant Religion and Encouragement of Vertue and Morality II. Be it Enacted by the Governor Council and Assembly and by the Authority of the same That this Government be and it is hereby divided into distinct Parishes in the Manner following That is to say St Paul's Parish in Chowan County Berkley Parish in Perquimons County St John's Parish on the South West Side of Pasquotank River and St Peter's Parish on the North East Side of Pasquotank River in Pasquotank County Currituck Parish in Currituck County Society Parish in Bertie County St Andrew's Parish in Tyrell County St Thomas's Parish in Beaufort County St George's Parish in Hyde County North West Parish in Northampton County St John's Parish in Granville County St Matthew's Parish in Orange County St Luke's Parish in Rowan County St David's Parish in Cumberland County St Gabriel's Parish in Duplin County St George's Parish in Anson County Edgecombe Parish in Edge combe County St Martin's Parish in Bladen County St James Parisn on the East Side of Cape Fear River And St Philip's Parish on the West Side of Cape Fear River from the Mouth of the said River running up the North West River to the Bounds of the County inclusive of the Island at the Mouth of the North West and North East Rivers commonly called Eagle's Island in New Hanover County St Patrick's Parish in Johnston Oounty Christ Church Parish in Craven County St John's Parish in Onslow County and St John's Parish in Oarteret County III. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the Freeholders of each respective Varish aforesaid shall and they are hereby impowered and directed to meet on the first Monday after the Tenth Day of June next after the Ratificalion of this Act at the Court house or Place where the County Court in each respective County aforesaid is or shall be held or at the usual Place of electing Vestrymen and on Easter Monday every Third Year thereafter then and there to choose and elect Twelve Freeholders to serve as Vestrymen for the Three Years next ensuing which Vestrymen so chosen shall by the Sheriff or his Deputy in each of the said Parishes respectively be summoned to meet at the church and where there is no Church at the Court house or Place where the County Court is or shall be held within Forty Days next after such Choice to qualify themselves according to the direction of this Act and if the said Sheriff by himself or Deputy shall neglect or refuse to summon the Vestry as aforesaid he shall forfeit and pay the Sum of Twenty Shillings Proclamation Money for each and every Vestryman not summoned as aforesaid who shall reside within his District to be levied and applied as herein after directed IV. And be it Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That every Sheriff or his Deputy one Month at least before the Election of Vestrymen for the Parish or Parishes within his County shall give Notice in Writing to the Minister and every Clerk and Reader within the Parish where such Election is to be held of the Time and Place appointed for such Election and the Minister and Readers respectively are hereby required to publish such Notice immediately after Divine Service on every Sunday between the Receipt thereof and the Day so appointed and on Failure thereof each Minister and Reader so offending shall forfeit and pay the Sum of Five Pounds Proclamation Money and if the Sheriff shall fail to make such Appointment and give Notice as aforesaid he shall for such Failure forfeit and pay the Sum of Twenty Pounds like Money one Moiety of which Penalty shall oe to the Parish wherein the Offence shall be committed and the other Moiety to the Informer to be recovered with Costs ot Debt in any Court of Record V. And that the Election may be made in a fair open Manner Be it Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That at all Elections of Vestrymen hereafter to be made the Sheriff of the County or his Deputy shall attend at the Court house of the County or Place where the County Court is held or usual Place of electing Vestrymen and there take the Votes in the following manner that is to say He shall open the Poll at Ten o clock in the Forenoon and after Proclamation to the Freeholders to come and give their Votes for Vestrymen shall take a List of the Names of the Voters who shall give their Suffrage which shall be for neither more nor less than Twelve and the Votes shall be given openly and the Poll kept open till Sun set unless the Majority of the Freeholders there present shall agree to have it closed sooner and the Sheriff shall then cast up the Number of Votes given for each Candidate and declare the Twelve who shall have the greatest Number of Suffrages to be duly elected and in Case of an Equality of Votes among any of the Candidates the Sheriff shall have the casting vote and in no other Case give his Vote VI. And to prevent Disputes concerning who shall be understood to be a Freeholder Be it further Enacted That no Person who hath not an Estate Real for his own Life or the Life of some other Person or an Estate of greater Dignity in Fifty Acres of Land in the Parish for which such Election shall be made shall be deemed a Freeholder within the Meaning of this Act and any one of the Candidates may in Case he suspects any Person going to give his vote hath not a Freehold within the Meaning of this Act object to such Person giving his Vote and require the Sheriff to tender him an Oath or Affirmation concerning his Qualification which Oath or Affirmation the Sheriff is hereby impowered and directed to administer in the following words to wit You shall swear or affirm That you have been possessed of a Freehold of Fifty Acres of Land for Three Months past in your own Right in the Parish of and that you have not given your Vote before in this Election So help you God VII. And be it further Enacted That no Person under the Age of Twenty one Years shall give his Vote for the Election of Vestrymen in any Parish VIII. And to enforce the Attendance of the Freeholders at all future Elections of Vestrymen Be it further Enacted That every Person qualified to Vote for Vestrymen in the several and respective Parishes shall and he is hereby required duly to attend and give his Vote at all future Elections at the Time and in the Manner as is herein before directed unless prevented by some bodily Infirmity or legal disability under the Penalty of Twenty Shillings Proclamation Money To be recovered by Warrant from any Magistrate within the County IX. And be it further Enacted That if any Person shall hereafter at an Election of Vestrymen give his Vote who is not possessed in his own Right of an Estate for Life or an Estate of higher Dignity of Fifty Acres of Land in the Parish for the Vestrymen of which he shall give his Vote such Person shall forfeit Five Pounds Proclamation Money To be recovered ered by Action of Debt Bill Plaint or Information in the County Court by such Person as will sue for the same wherein no Essoign Injunction Protection or Wager of Law shall be admitted and where such Action shall be brought the Onus Probandi shall lie on the Defendant X. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That no Person shall be admitted to be of any Vestry within this Government that doth not wiihin Forty Days after his being chosen by the Freeholders as i& before directed take the Oaths by Law appointed for the Qualification of Public Officers and repeat and subscribe the following Declaration to wit I AB do declare That I will conform to the Liturgy of the Church of England as it is by Law established And all and every Person chosen and summoned as is hereinbefore directed who shall refuse or neglect to do the same shall if he be not a Dissenter from the Church of England forfeit and pay the Sum of Forty Shillings Proclamation Money to be levied and applied as is herein after directed and if any Person or Persons chosen as is hereinbefore directed shall neglect or refuse to make and subscribe the said Declaration the other Persons chosen as aforesaid or the Majority of them shall and may after their having taken the Oaths and repeated and subscribed the aforesaid Declaration elect and choose another or other Freeholder or Freeholders in Place of him or them which shall so refuse or neglect to take the Oaths aforesaid or to repeat and subscribe the said Declaration and such Person or Persons as shall be chosen and electe l by the Vestrymen in Manner aforesaid shall after his or their taking the Oaths arid repeating the Declaration aforesaid be deemed and held to be legal Vestrymen to all Intents and Purposes as if they had been elected and chosen by the Freeholders of the County XI. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the Vestrymen of each and every Parish respectively or a Majority of them shall and they are hereby directed within Sixty Days after Easter Monday Yearly to elect and choose out of the said Vestry Two Persons to execute the Office of Churchwardens in each and every respective Parish and if the Persons elected Church wardens as aforesaid or either of them shall refuse to execute the said Office he or they so refusing shall forfeit and Pay Forty Shillings Proclamation Money to be levied and applied as is herein after directed and the Vestry shall immediately proceed to choose in the Room of him or them who refuse to execute the said Office another or other Churchwarden or Churchwardens out of the said Vestrymen Provided that no Person whatsoever shall be obliged to serve as Churchwarden in any Parish for more than One Year at the expiration of which the Vestry shall again choose another to succeed him and the Churchwardens of every Parish shall purchase at the Expence of the Parish Books well bound in Vellum for keeping therein a Journal and Register of all Proceedings of the Vestry in which shall be fairly stated the Accounts of all such Monies as they from Time to Time shall receive in Virtue of their Office and all Disbursements and Expences made on Account of the Parish and within Ninety Days after their Wardenship shall expire set lip in the Court house of their County on a Court Day and continue the same during the sitting of such Court fair Copies of such Accounts for Inspection of the Parishoners XII. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the Churchwardens or in Case they refuse or neglect any Three or more of the Vestry in each Parish respectively shall have full Power and Authority to call the Vestry together at any Time and upon any Occasion they shall judge necessary by Warrant or Warrants under their Hands directed to the several Constables of the several Districts in each respective Parish who shall be obliged to execute the same according to the Tenor thereof under the Penalty of Ten Shillings for each Vestryman in such Warrant named whom he shall fail to summon and every Vestryman who shall refuse or neglect to attend the Vestry agreeable to such Summons shall forfeit and pay the Sum of Ten Shillings Proclamation Money for every such neglect unless he can show sufficient cause for his so doing to be admitted by the Majority of the Vestry at their next Meeting to be levied as is herein after directed XIII. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the Vestries of the several Parishes shall have full Power and Authority upon the Death or Removal out of their respective Parishes of any Church warden or Churchwardens before the Time limited for the executing the said Office is expired to elect and choose out of the Vestry another Churchwarden or Churchwardens in the Room and Stead of the Person or Persons so dead or removed out of the Parish aforesaid which Churchwarden or Churchwardens so elected shall serve until the Time appointed by this Act for the Election of Churchwardens XIV. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the Vestry of each respective Parish shall have full Power and Authority and they are hereby directed and required between Easter Monday and the First Day of November Yearly to lay such a Poll Tax as they shall judge necessary for purchasing Glebes and satisfying the Expence of their respective Parishes XV. And for the better collection and paying the said Tax Be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the Vestry of each respective Parish shall and is hereby authorized and impowered to nominate and appoint such Person as they shall think fit by the Name of the Collector of the Parish Taxes to collect and receive the aforesaid Tax the Person appointed giving Bond with sufficient Security that he will duly collect and receive the said Tax and pay and satisfy unto the Creditors of the Parish all Taxes levied for such Purpose and the Overplus if any to the Vestry or their Sucessors for the Use of the Parish which Tax shall be collected at the Time and in the Manner that Public Taxes ought by Law to be collected and shall be allowed Five Per Cent for his Trouble and have full Power and Authority by Virtue of this Act upon Neglect or Refusal of Payment of the said Tax or any Part thereof by any Person or Persons chargeable therewith to distrain the Goods and Chatttels of the Party refusing or neglecting and if the Owner thereof shall not pay what is due within Five Days after such Distress such Collector may and shall lawfully sell by Auction the Goods so distrained or so much thereof as shall be sufficient to satisfy the said Tax and the Charges of Distress and Sale returning the Overplus if any to the Owner but shall give Notice of the Sale by setting up an Advertisement in Writing at the Church Door in the Parish or at the most Public Place of Worship where there is no Church and by publishing the same among the People immediately after Divine Service on the next Sunday after the Expiration of the said Five Days which Sale shall not be more than Three Days nor less than Six Days after Notice so given and shall be good and effectual in Law against all Persons whatsoever And if the Vestry of any Parish shall neglect or refuse to lay a sufficient Tax to satisfy the Parish Creditors in such Case all and every the Vestrymen of the Parish neglecting or refusing shall be liable to the Action of the Party grieved his or her Executors or Administrators for all Damages which he or she shall sustain by such Refusal or Neglect XVI. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That in every Parish in this Province where a good and convenient Glebe is not already purchased and appropriated a good convenient Tract of Land to contain Two Hundred Acres at least shall be purchased by the Vestry and assigned and set apart for a Glebe for the Use of the Minister of such Parish and his Successors in all Times hereafter XVII. And where Mansion and convenient Outhouses are not already erected for the Habitation of the Minister It is hereby Enacted That the Vestry of every such Parish shall have Power and they are hereby authorized and required to cause to be erected and built on such Glebe One convenient Mansion house Kitchen Barn Stable Dairy and Meet house with such other Convenience as they shall think fit XVIII. And to the End that the Buildings already erected or hereafter to be erected upon every Glebe may be kept in good Repair It is hereby further Enacted That every Parish Minister within this Province shall during the Time of his being Minister of the Parish keep and maintain the Mansion house and the Out houses and Conveniences erected or to be eiected OB his Glebe in tenantable Repair and shall so leave the same at his Removal from the Parish or Death Accidents by Fire or Tempest only excepted and in Case any Minister shall fall to do so such Minister his Executors or Administrators shall be liable to the Action of the Churchwardens of the Parish for the Time being wherein the Value of such Repairs shall be recovered and Damages with Costs of Suit and the Damages so recovered shall be applied and laid out in necessary Repairs upon the Glebe And every Vestry of a vacant Parish is hereby impowered and required to put all the Buildings upon the Glebe of their Parish into such good and sufficient Repair that they may be fit for the Reception of the succeeding Minister Provided nevertheless That any Vestry who shall judge that the Minister has not wilfully committed any waste on his Glebe may make such necessary Repairs at the Charge of their Parish as they shall think fit XIX. And to the End that the Clergy may have a decent and comfortable Maintenance and Support without being obliged to follow any other Employment than that of their Holy Function in the Cure of their respective Parishes Be it Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That every Minister hereafter to be preferred to or received into any Parish within this Province shall have and receive an Annual Salary of Eighty Pounds Proclamation Money to be levied assessed and collected and paid in Manner herein before directed Provided always That no Vestry shall at any Time make Presentation to any Parish of a Missionary whose Duty requires him at any Time to be absent from such Parish unless such Missionary shall agree with the Vestry for such Yearly Salary as they shall think fit and reasonable considering the Time his Duty will require him to be absent And whatever Agreement shall be so made between the Vestry and Minister shall be binding on such Minister during the Continuance of such Mission any Thing herein contained to the contrary notwithstanding XX. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the Right of Presentation of a Minister to each respective Parish within this Province shall be and remain in the Vestry of each respective Parish for and during the Space of Twelve Months after a Vacancy shall happen in the same and if the Vestry in that Time shall neglect to make Presentation of a Minister to such Parish it shall and may be lawful for the Governor or Commander in Chief for the Time being to present and the Minister so presented to the Parish shall be deemed and held to be the Minister of such Parish and entitled to the same Salary and Dues as if the Vestry had made the Presentation as is herein before directed Provided nevertheless That in Case the Vestry of any Parish that shall be vacant one Year shall procure some neighbouring or other Minister to serve in the Cure of such vacant Parish by performing Divine Service once in Three Months they shall thereby save to themselves and retain the Right of Presentation for so long a Time as such Minister shall so serve in the Cure of such vacant Parish Any Thing herein contained to the contrary notwithstanding Provided also That no Vestry within this Province shall present for their Minister any Person who shall not first have a Certificate from the Bishop of London that such Minister hath been duly ordained conformable to the Doctrine and Discipline of the Church of England and i& of a good Life and Conversation XXI. And be it further Enacted That any Minister of a Parish who shall be guilty of any notorious Immorality in Disgrace of his Function and to the Scandal of Religion on Conviction thereof before the Supreme Court of Justice wherein Actions arising in such Parish shall be triable shall lose his Salary and Dues which he would otherwise be entitled to and such Parish shall be held and deemed vacant and the Vestry impowered to make Presentation of another in the same Manner as if the Minister so convicted had been naturally dead XXII. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the Minister of each respective Parish shall be obliged to officiate in such Parts cf the Parish and at such Times as the Vestry or a Majority of them shall direct at the Time he shall be received into his Parish and in Case of Failure it shall be lawful for them to withdraw his Salary unless other Places shall be afterwards agreed on between such Vestry and Minister and the Vestry in Case of such Failure may and are hereby impowered to make Presentation of another Minister to such Parish as is herein before directed to be done in vacant Parishes XXIII. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the Vestry of every Parish shall have full Power to call every Justice of the Peace or other Person or Persons whatsoever to Account on Oath and pay to them the Monies in the Hands of him or them belonging to their respective Parishes or accruing or becoming due to the same by Virtue of the Laws of this Province and if any Justice or Justices or other Person or Persons shall refuse to appear and account as aforesaid he or they so neglecting shall forfeit and pay Twenty Pounds Proclamation Money To be recovered by the Churchwardens of the Parish for the Time being where such Money shall become due by Action of Debt Bill Plaint or Information in any Court of Record wherein no Essoign Protection Injunction or Wager of Law shall be allowed and to be applied to the Use of the Parish And where any Suit shall be brought by the Churchwardens and the Money shall not be by them recovered and received before the Expiration of their Office the Suit shall be carried on to Execution by the succeeding Churchwardens in the Name of their Predecessors who brought such Suit and shall be received by such succeeding Churchwardens to the Use of the Parish Provided that nothing in this Act shall be construed to repeal any Clause Matter or Thing in an Act of Assembly intituled An Act to enable the Commissioners herein after mentioned to finish the Church already begun at Edenton XXIV. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That the several Sums of Money arising and becoming due by Reason of the Forfeitures and Penalties by this Act infiicted and for which no Method of Recovery or Application is before directed in this Act shall be levied within one Week after they shall become due by Warrant of Distress from any Two of his Majesty's Justices of the Peace within the County where the said Penalty or Forfeiture shall be incurred and by Sale of the Defendant's Goods returning the Overplus if any to the Owner and the Money so levied shall be paid to the Churchwardens for the Use of the Parish XXV. And be it further Enacted That all and every other Act and Acts and every Clause and Article thereof or so much thereof except as before excepted heretofore made so far as they relate to any Matter or Thing contained within the Purview of this Act is and are hereby repealed and made void to all Intents and Purposes as if the same had never been made XXVI. And be it further Enacted by the Authority aforesaid That this Act shall commence and be in Force from and after the first Day of June next and that all Acts heretofore legally made and done by Vestries heretofore chosen and qualified agreeable to the Laws of this Province are hereby declared to be as good and valid as if this Act had never been made