History of Rose Hill

Contributed by Carol Robinson

Rose Hill had its beginning in 1840 processing naval supplies such as pitch
and lumber, following the building of North Carolina's first railroad. Originally 
located about a mile south of the present town, it was named fro Rosemary 
because of the stand of Rosemary pine trees which grew abundantly in the 
area. For the past thirty years, a tremendous growth in the processing and 
production of poultry and pork has contributed to the economy and well-being
of the community.

Return to History of Cities and Towns in Duplin County Return to Duplin County Page