Duplin was formed in 1750 from New Hanover. It was named in honor of Thomas Hay, Lord Duplin, an English nobleman. It is in the eastern section of the State and is bounded by Jones, Onslow, Pender, Sampson, Wayne, and Lenoir counties. The present land area is 817.98 square miles and the 2005 population was around 51,985.
From 1755 to 1780 the county seat was called Duplin Court House, but the location was not specified. The county court minutes merely say that the court was held at the court house. In 1816 Kenansville was laid out on the public lands and a new courthouse ordered to be erected. On and after January, 1819, the court was held in the courthouse in Kenansville. Kenansville is the county seat.
Duplin County was first formed by the General Assembly in New Bern on
April 7, 1750 from what was the northern part of New Hanover County.
At that time the boundaries of Duplin County included what would eventually
become Sampson County. Duplin was named after Sir Thomas Hays, Lord Dupplin,
who served on the Board of Trade and Plantations for the Crown in the 1740's.
Duplin County's earliest immigrants were the Welsh who arrived in
the 1700's. They were soon followed by German Palatines and the Swiss
in the 1730's and 1740's. The Scotch-Irish arrived in 1736 with Henry
McCulloch, a wealthy London merchant, to settle on a rich and fertile
71,160-acre land granted to him from the British Crown. The French Huguenots
and English, who migrated from Virginia along with Scottish Highlanders
who came from the upper Cape Fear region, also were among the earliest
settlers to the area along with African-Americans. The early settlements
were primarily along the river and larger creeks as these were the best
means of transportation.
Henry McCulloch, who had transported Ulster Scots and Swiss Protestants
to settle this area, established several settlements. One on the east
bank of the Northeast Cape Fear River named Sarecta, became Duplin's
first incorporated town in 1787. Another settlement was established on
the west side of the river on Goshen Swamp, and a third at a place
referred to as Golden Grove, later to become the Town of Kenansville.
These early settlers were primarily Presbyterians and they established
the Goshen congregation in 1736. Later called the Grove congregation,
it was the first Presbyterian church in the state and is still active
In 1751, the first official county court was held in the home of
William McRee. Today, Guilford Mills, Inc, on NC Highway 11/903,
is located on the original site. A short time later the first courthouse
was built on Turkey Swamp near the present day Duplin/Sampson County
line. When Sampson County was created in 1784 from the western half of
Duplin County, the courthouse was relocated again to a more central
location. The first sessions of county court at this new site were held
in James's home near the road to Magnolia about 2 miles south of Kenansville.
Later, the court was relocated to the area that was to become Kenansville.
Duplin has grown steadily through the years. The first industry in the
county was the naval stores industry. The harvesting of rosin from the
abundant longleaf pine forests to make tar, pitch and turpentine,
provided barter and income for the early settlers and remained a
significant part of the economy up until the late 1800's. The naval
stores products were floated down the Northeast Cape Fear River for
sale in Wilmington on large, log rafts. In later years, paddlewheel
riverboats became a far better means of transportation on the river.
Necessary supplies and staple goods were ferried back up the river.
When the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad was completed it provided a
faster and more convenient method of shipping and the use of the river
for transportation decreased.
The completion of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad in 1840,
which ran through the western half of the county, provided additional
opportunities for growth and a tremendous influence for further
development, not only for Duplin County, but the entire region.
The Towns of Wallace, Teachey, Rose Hill, Magnolia, Warsaw, Faison
and Calypso developed along the tracks.
Duplin County is the 9th largest county in the state in land area,
819 square miles. The 2000 population was 49,063. There are 10 incorporated
towns in the county: Calypso, Faison, Warsaw, Kenansville, Magnolia,
Rose Hill, Teachey, Wallace, Greenevers and Beulaville. The county is
served by Interstate 40, U.S. Highway 117, NC Highways 11, 24, 50, 403
and 903. Rail service is available through CSX Rail service and the
Duplin County Airport provides a 6,001-foot paved, lighted runway.
Duplin County has maintained its agricultural heritage and rural
environment through the years while still allowing for a blending
with industrial development, economic growth and an enviable lifestyle.
Return to History of Cities and Towns in Duplin County Return to Duplin County Page